Job Title: SQL Developer – work from home
Responsible to: Head of Business Systems
Work from home role – odd visits to the office after lockdown on the are occasion
Holidays: 22 days per year annual leave In addition, 2 extra statutory days are granted during the Christmas closedown. 24 days in total plus normal statutory of circa 8 days. 32 days holiday grand total
Pension: Greater Manchester Pension fund. The employee contribution ranges between 5.5% to 9.9% and the org contributes 18.90%
Care: Access to Care First – Free confidential service for information and advice or counselling provided for employees, 24 hours a day, 365 days of the year.
Cycle to work scheme
Long service award: – Annual leave entitlements for Professional services staff increase after 5 and 20 years’ service. In addition, when employees reach the 25 years’ service milestone they are awarded with a gift and a certificate from the
Family friendly policies inc flexible working hours:
As a result of successful remote working for many colleagues, the org expects a number of staff may request permanent changes to their working arrangements to allow them increased flexibility to work from home.
Design, develop & maintain efficient, repeatable and appropriately-scaled solutions in Microsoft SQL Server T-SQL, Reporting Services, Integration services and related tools.
Function as an integral part of the BSDU, actively contributing towards the development of the Reports Hub that provide the org student /academic data reporting.
Implement, test, deploy and document new and enhance existing SQL scripts and stored procedures to perform data integrity monitoring, respond to ad-hoc data queries, automate regular processes, resolving data inconsistencies and raising exceptions.
To support and maintain in-house web applications that facilitate automated data transfer services, working collaboration HBSDU to develop new robust SSIS packages to provide server to server interoperability and preserve single point of truth within the org centralised database estate. Actively participate in the student information system implementation project, assisting in the data migration tasks, functional configuration, developing reports.
SUMMARY OF MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Liaising with Professional Services departments to provide first line support for all SQL/SSRS/SSIS related queries and requests. Analyse, solve, and correct issues in real time, implementing enhancements and new solutions to create operational efficiencies and improve the utilisation of systems
- Create and maintain high quality / reusable SQL Server procedures, jobs, scripts, views, databases and related SQL-based components to support the effective delivery of business software solutions.
- Develop, deploy and maintain the org suite of SSRS reports, enhancing the provision to meet evolving user and business requirements.
- Utilise SQL data tools (SSIS) to maintain existing and implement new automated workflows and data transfer services between core information systems to enable seamless interoperability across the centralised database estate and preserve data integrity.
- Whilst working on the student information systems project, assist with data migration and configuring the student portal to meet specific requirements. Including developing bespoke reports and making system wide data modifications to enable the system to function as per the specification.
- To undertake a supporting role during key BSDU annual data administration processes and activities such as Board of Examiners, Online Registration, Student Records Rollover and curriculum management.
- To undertake other duties from time to time as deemed appropriate by the Head of Business Systems and Data Unit as and when required.
- To ensure that reasonable care is taken at all times for the health, safety and welfare of yourself and other persons and to comply with the policies and procedures relating to health and safety within the org
This job description sets out the duties of the post at the time when it was drawn up. Such duties may vary from time to time without changing the general character of the duties or the level of the responsibility entailed. Such variations are a common occurrence and cannot of themselves justify a reconsideration of the grading of the post.Criteria
Method of Assessment
· A minimum of 2 years’ experience in developing MS SQL 2012 + (T-SQL); Stored Procedures, Functions, Views and Jobs
· A minimum of 2 years’ experience in developing SSRS reports
· Experience of reviewing and interpreting ongoing business reporting and automated data requirements
· Prior experience of implementing data validation controls
· Recent experience of designing and deploying SSIS packages
· Experience of providing specialist technical support Skills
· Strong MS SQL Database Development Skills (T-SQL/SSRS)
· Able to interpret requirements into technical specifications and outputs
· Excellent analytical and problem solving skills
· Strong written and oral communications skills including the ability to communicate technical concepts to a non-technical audience
· Windows PowerShell scripting
· Recent experience of designing and deploying SSIS packages
· .Net appreciation
· Strong knowledge of writing complex and efficient SQL for relational databases
· Detailed knowledge of MS SQL data tools including Management Studio, Visual Studio, command line tools and syntaxes
· Basic understanding MS SQL Database /Active Directory security.
· Ability to interact with users to gain knowledge of operational processes to provide automated solutions and problem solve
· Understanding of student administration operations and processes
· Knowledge of C# coding for .Net applications
· Educated to degree level in a related disciple or equivalent experience Other requirements
· High ethical standards
· Able to work in a fast-moving environment
· Self-motivated, and can organise own workload priorities to meet deadlines
· Team oriented with ability to work alone with minimal supervision
· Approachable and able to build and maintain effective relationships with colleagues of all levels.