Commutable from Leeds - Wakefield - York - Doncaster - Hull
We have a key role within one of our fastest growing clients. Customer acquisition over the past 12 months has been truly astounding and a large proportion of customers are repeat customers. In line with this and a business transformation programme the organisation has planned numerous systems changes and upgrades.
The IT Infrastructure Lead is a hands-on technical role playing a key part in the transformation, tasked with managing the day-to-day operations of the server estate (desktop/virtual/physical), alongside designing and developing scalable IT infrastructure for both the internal business and its customers.
The post holder should have proven experience in a similar role and be comfortable providing technical expertise to support the planning and delivery of transformational IT projects. The post holder will need to foster internal and external business relationships, understand complex requirements and communicate effectively and professionally at all times.
- Enable systems and services to reside on the most secure, reliable and resilient platforms while consolidating existing Infrastructures and reducing costs
- Support strategic planning activities by advising on suitable technical solutions, and developing high and low-level designs
- Keep abreast of new technologies by working closely with our solutions partners and attending industry meet-ups / reading relevant publications
- Execute, test and roll-out innovative solutions to ensure you understand and can demonstrate and advise on tech to our customers
- Create and document installation, configuration, maintenance and support procedures for all systems under management
- Manage the Lamp stack (Linux, Apache, MySQL and PHP servers), Linux email platforms, MS Windows Servers, VM-Ware platform and our monitoring & alerting tools
- Provide assistance with troubleshooting our internal systems and support the Developers in a DevOps capacity where possible. Be able to provide technical expertise in areas of: Jenkins, Puppet, Chef, and similar.
- Assist in the planning and deployment of software updates and patches
- Work with the wider IT department and third parties to continually monitor IT security; reacting in a timely manner to any vulnerabilities identified and continuously
- Regularly auditing instance usage and ensuring monetary and resource costs are understood with stakeholders
- Provide auditing and reporting for all internal and customer IT infrastructures, to highlight risks and plans for mitigation
- Support any emergency Business Continuity and/or Disaster Recovery actions if required
- Manage the planning and execution of all core infrastructure upgrades and implementations, by following a CAB approval process for any live service affecting change ensuring that changes are understood by all stakeholders and approved / rejected accordingly
- Manage third party contracts and relationships
- Conduct audit and inventory of software systems, licencing and services
Essential Competencies/skills and experiences for the role:
- Experience in script writing
- Experience in RPM packaging, configuration management/infrastructure as code
- Be able to explain technical matters to non-technical members of the team
- Be able to work on and lead technical projects adequately, delivering on time and to budget
- Be flexible as part of the role, supporting the team and business out-of-hours where necessary
- Be able to prepare infrastructure designs, and provide support to the B2B team with presales queries and solution questions
- Be able to support and mentor junior members of the IT Operations team on technical matters
Desirable Competencies/skills and experiences for the role:
- Provable DevOps experience
- VM-Ware / RedHat accredited
- Experience in a client-facing or consultancy role
- Experience of cloud migration projects (Azure and similar)