Embedded software engineers (4.5 half day week only)
…required to work within a software solutions environment. Their solutions save lives, on a daily basis.
- Base Salary £55,000 +
- Benefits: 4.5 half day week, free parking, heavily subsidised onsite facilities, relaxed friendly environment.
- Education Requirements – ideally a degree within a related field but not essential
- Experience Requirements – 5+ years ideal
- Industry – Software Solutions
- Job Location – Leeds, LS11 5QG
- Qualifications – Any software / computer science related certifications relevant
- Work Hours – 35 hours over 4.5 days (half day Friday)
Our client delivers leading technology and services to meet the needs of over 2.5 million people worldwide. Their vision is a world where people have the freedom to live life to the full in a place of their choice and that is just what their products help deliver and on a global scale.
Responsibilities and skills
- Architects, creates and reviews design specifications for complex software components, subsystems or overall systems as required (this will include software design specifications)
- Produce well structured, documented and maintainable code to meet project goals
- Provide maintenance support for existing products to ensure prompt rectification of problems
- Ensure proper tests, debug and verification of designs prior to release as requested
- Lead and contribute to, formal design and project reviews
- Create work breakdown and estimates for new projects and deliver to agreed timescales
- Define and create build environments and configuration management systems to ensure consistent usage and correct release of software.
- Act as a coach to less experienced engineers
- Follow company/department processes and contribute to process improvements
- Experience and knowledge in working with OO design principles and Design Patterns
- Experience and knowledge of testing frameworks
- Experience and knowledge of working with and using continuous integration and build environments
- Understanding of Android frameworks and tools
- Knowledge and experience of developing software for embedded devices
- Excellent problem solving skills and analysis
- Experience and knowledge of architectural designs for specifications.
- Experience of Real Time Applications and Operating Systems
- Demonstrable experience of software (embedded and operating system development) within Consumer Electronic, or similar industries.
- Experience and knowledge of embedded Linux and windows CE
- Good understanding of IP and Ethernet networking.
- Excellent understanding of the software development lifecycle and processes, agile and waterfall.
- Working knowledge of software developments tools, Jira, Visual Studio for Teams, eclipse, android studio, git SVN, others considered where relevant for embedded devices.
The Innovation and Development function is a key aspect of the business. The function includes hardware, software and systems engineering disciplines. The department works closely with the Business Development function to ensure market requirements are met in terms of new product developments and product upgrades.
Another key requirement is the liaison with quality, manufacturing and materials functions to ensure the manufacturing capability of new products and that adequate quality is inbuilt in to products. There is also the requirement to ensure that adequate technical and support documentation is available for products and systems. The function must ensure that products pass the product approval process which includes input into the business justification case required for the commitment of funds to the development of new products.